Shanghai makes marriage registration more convenient

chinadaily.com.cn Updated:2023-09-27

Expats, residents from China's Hong Kong and Macao special administration regions and Taiwan, as well as overseas Chinese can register their marriage in Pudong district starting from the beginning of October if the hukou, or permanent household registration, of their partners is tied to the district, the Shanghai Civil Affairs Bureau announced on Monday.

In a move to provide more convenience to residents, the districts of Huangpu, Xuhui, Jing'an, Changning, and Minhang will start offering the same service starting from the beginning of next year, said the bureau. More districts are expected to follow suit in the future.

Expats registering their marriage in Shanghai will need to bring along their passports, ID photos, and certificates from embassies or consulates of their home countries proving that they are single.

Permanent residents in Pudong can make an appointment for marriage registration in the district using apps like Suishenban or Alipay starting from Tuesday.