Guangzhou has a well-developed health care network, with general and specialized hospitals in every administrative district of the city. Foreign nationals can go to the hospital by themselves. Those who cannot may call the emergency number 120 or the number of a designated hospital for an ambulance to take them to a nearby hospital. This service is payable; the fee usually ranges from RMB one hundred to several hundreds, depending on the distance and medication used.
How to access medical services
Hospitals offer various types of appointment services (e.g. through Guangzhou Health Link app, hospitals' official websites, WeChat public account, telephone hotline 12320 etc.).
Patients can also go to the outpatient clinic to register on their own. The procedure to see a doctor is: registration and triage — waiting for your turn 一 doctor's consultation — fee payment, and then examination/test (If needed. Some examinations need to be booked separately) — prescribing directly or prescribing after having examination/test results — fee payment — collecting medicine.
When visiting the hospital during the Covid-19 pandemic, one shall provide one of the following health certificates as required by local authorities: Sui Kang or Yue Kang code, notice of fulfillment of medical observation period, nucleid acid test report, and proof of identity. Some hospitals may have their own requirements.
Seeking treatment for infectious disease or major epidemic
Those who are bitten or scratched by animals (dogs, cats, rats, etc.) should visit the nearest medical institution immediately to clean and treat the wounds, and then go to the Guangzhou Eighth People's Hospital (Dongfeng Area or Jiahe Area, 24-hour service) for rabies vaccination, or a nearby designated rabies vaccination site for vaccination.
Those who are diagnosed with a statutory infectious disease or suspected infectious disease by a medical institution shall cooperate with medical and health institutions for examination, isolation, epidemiological investigation and other measures, and be transferred to a designated medical institution for treatment in accordance with relevant regulations.
Inoculation for children
For children born or living in Guangzhou, their parents or guardians shall take them to the inoculation site in their place of residence (the health service center of the street (town)) to receive vaccination and obtain an inoculation certificate according to the prescribed immunization procedure and time. Children who have not completed the required immunizations due to migration, long-term traveling or living in other places may continue the required vaccinations at the inoculation site in their new places of residence by presenting their inoculation certificates. Guardians shall keep the inoculation certificates for checking if the children are enrolled in daycare or school.
Health guide for foreign nationals in Guangzhou
To ensure daily prevention and control against Covid-19, we suggest these health guidelines for expatriates in Guangzhou:
(1) Pay attention to authoritative information. Please follow the official media such as the WeChat public account "Guangzhou Health Commission" for official notification of the Covid-19 and preventive and control measures, or call the Guangzhou Health Hotline 12320 for advice. If you need services in English, Japanese or Korean, you can call the Guangzhou multilingual public service platform at 960169, an interpreter will connect you to 12320 for a three way call to answer your questions. Do not be misled by rumors or spread them.
(2) Protect yourself. Maintain personal hygiene, wash your hands frequently, cover your nose and mouth with tissue or elbow when coughing or sneezing, do not spit, and discard used masks as required. Open windows regularly for ventilation and maintain a clean indoor environment. Avoid contact with any wild animals or poultries; cook meat and eggs thoroughly before eating.
(3) Minimize unnecessary outings. Do not travel to medium or high-risk areas and other cities where outbreaks are occurring. Avoid going to crowded places, minimize group activities such as parties and dining together, and keep social distance. If you must attend, wear a mask properly (medical surgical masks are preferred) and refresh your health code on your cell phone.
(4) Cooperate with the work of medical and epidemic prevention staff. If you have visited a medium or high-risk area within 14 days, you shall promptly report to your local disease control institution or the designated organization, and pay close attention to your health condition, stay home and reduce going out. If you are asked about your condition by government staff, community workers or medical staff, please cooperate with them. If you develop fever, cough, chest tightness, weakness or other symptoms, you must wear a mask and go to the fever clinic of a nearby hospital and tell the doctor truthfully about your travel history of the last 14 days. Please comply with epidemic prevention regulations and accept arrangements for PCR testing.
(5) Vaccination. Several types of Covid-19 vaccines developed and produced in China have had hundreds of millions of safe inoculations and have been proven safe and effective in many countries and regions around the world. WHO has recognized and recommended them. Receiving vaccination is in your best interest.
There are currently 114 medical institutions with fever clinics in all 11 districts of Guangzhou.
Copyright © Foreign Affairs Office of Guangzhou Municipal Government,
Hong Kong and Macao Affairs Office of Guangzhou Municipal Government All rights reserved.
Presented by China Daily.